FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – PR_2020_07a_EN
July 7th, 2020
NEW NUUK REGION MAPS FOR HUNTERS, HIKERS AND FISHERMEN
Nuuk, Greenland – Using new satellite data wow.gl has created the most accurate maps for navigating the Nuuk region. The six high-resolution, large-scale maps cover Nuup Kangerlua (Godthåbsfjord) and all of Ameralik. They are available in shops / online on July 15th and are described at maps.wow.gl.
IMPROVING THE SCOPE AND QUALITY OF NUUK FJORD AND AMERALIK MAPS
The new wow.gl maps make it much easier to explore and route-find in the Nuuk area. The six new maps are designed for anyone with an interest in the outdoors, locals and residents alike, and extend over the whole of the Nuuk fjord region. Each map covers 27 x 35 kilometres at 1:40,000 scale – perfect for hiking – and shows the majority of areas popular for hunting, snowmobiling, skiing, canoeing and kayaking, camping and trekking – including the popular Nuuk to Kapisillit route. Popular trails close to Nuuk and all public huts are marked and the maps are presented in Greenlandic, Danish and English.
Just in time for the summer season, the Nuup Kangerlua Map Series are the most accurate publicly-available map series covering deep into Nuuk’s mountainous fjords. The maps are based on the newest satellite data and correct errors up to 100m in the heights of some mountains and mismatches in lakes and coastlines appearing on older maps. They provide detailed information on the secrets of Nuuk’s spectacular terrain and the high-resolution, ten metre contours make route-planning easier and safer.
Mark Hutchison, local Nuuk-resident and geologist, who created the maps, said: “Visitors and locals now have a resource to know exactly what is ahead of them in the fjords, opening the door to bigger and safer adventures”. The new maps have been welcomed by local organisations such as Asiaq, Visit Greenland, Guide to Greenland, and the local Nuuk Klattreklubben, Snescooterforeningen Qamutit, and Vandreforening Pisuttartut Peqatiiffiat. Board Member at the Greenlandic Hiking Association, Egill Steingrimson, said: “Maps on this scale will make it much easier to find the easiest and safest routes in the steep landscape”. Maps are available for order online at maps.wow.gl/shop with free shipping within Greenland, and in shops in Nuuk – Orsiivik, Pikkori Sport, Greenland National Museum and Archives, Grønlands Kontorforsyning, and Tupilak Travel – and Pilersuisoq in Kapisillit.
ON BEHALF OF WOW.GL
Mark T. Hutchison, Administrator
For further information:
- Six new maps seamlessly cover Nuup Kangerlua (Godthåbsfjord) and Ameralik
- Produced in Nuuk by local resident, Mark Hutchison, in collaboration with Asiaq Greenland Survey
- Use the latest satellite data correcting many errors in older maps
- Aimed at local residents and visitors
- Represent a significant resource for improving safety and security for people wanting to explore nature
- Presented as convenient in-pocket folded maps in a waterproof sleeve, or flat maps for display
- Available to buy at maps.wow.gl and in Nuuk and Kapisillit shops from July 15th
Press images available at:
- https://maps.wow.gl/Press/IMAGES/PR2020_07/Overview_Series_FINAL.jpg – Nuup Kangerlua Trekking Map Series – areas covered
- https://maps.wow.gl/Press/IMAGES/PR2020_07/27×35 01-NUUK_FINAL_RGB_100dpi.jpg – Nuup Kangerlua Series Map 1 – Nuuk
- https://maps.wow.gl/Press/IMAGES/PR2020_07/27×35 06-KAPISILLIT_FINAL_RGB_100dpi.jpg – Map 6 – Kapisillit and cover
- https://maps.wow.gl/Press/IMAGES/PR2020_07/MAP_4699_proc.jpg – The map-maker in the field
- https://maps.wow.gl/Press/IMAGES/PR2020_07/MAP_4715_proc.jpg – Map, compass and GPS
- https://maps.wow.gl/Press/IMAGES/PR2020_07/MAP_4686_proc.jpg – Map use with view of Sermitsiaq
Attribution: © Mark T. Hutchison – maps.wow.gl – 2020